Ir a la Página Principal
       

Ermita del Cristo de la Vera Cruz




 

Sus orígenes se remontan a 1212 con motivo de la victoria de la batalla de las Navas de Tolosa, el Rey de castilla  Alfonso VIII  ordenó que se construyesen humilladeros y ermitas desde Tolosa a Toledo  por el camino real en honor a la Cruz que le había dado  protección durante la batalla  “La Veracruz”.

En 1515  se amplía el  Templo desapareciendo el humilladero y convirtiéndose en Santuario  y se le dedica al Apóstol Santiago. La iglesia es presidida por  el Santísimo Cristo de la Veracruz, una talla en madera  que se piensa que sus orígenes se remontan al siglo XVI, al tener tanta devoción  dicha imagen; se forma la cofradía de “La Santa Veracruz” de la cual fueron aprobadas sus ordenanzas en 1613 para después nombrarlo  Patrono de Mora.

Su fiesta es el 15 de septiembre celebrando las Ferias y Fiestas en su honor.



Sanctuary of the “Santísimo Cristo de la Veracruz”

 

It’s impossible to determine the building date. Like others hermitages, this could have been built after 1212, to commemorate the victory of the battle of Las Navas de Tolosa. Alfonso VIII, King of Castilla, proposed to raise oratories on the royal road that came from Despeñaperros to Toledo.

 

Its antecedent is a hermitage dedicated to Santiago. There is also a hospital under the same name that was destroyed in the war of the Communities to be close to the parish church. The church has a rectangular floor plan, enlarged at its head when it became Asylum. The altarpiece presides over a wood carving of Cristo de la Veracruz, presumably from the end of the 17th century.

 

Inside the hermitage, is the headquarters of the brotherhood of Santa Veracruz. It has ordinances approved in 1613 and was a penitential brotherhood, with disciplinarians and brothers of light. The Cristo de la Veracruz is the patron saint of the town and its feast is celebrated on September 15. This day begins the Fair.

 

 

 

Next to the hermitage, there is an old asylum, now the residence of the Purísima Concepción and Santiago, a foundation governed by the Franciscan Tertiaries of the Immaculate Conception since September 1892. The charity action could be developed thanks to the generosity of the rich owners María Loreto Fernández - Cabrera Martín, and Braulio Millas Téllez.

 

Ubicación: C/ Calvario



Cómo llegar      
Visítanos también en:
   
Contacte con nosotros en:
Oficina Turismora - Glorieta de Eusebio Mendez - 45400 Mora (Toledo)
+34 925 30 00 25 (Ext.170)
turismo@mora.es