Se levanta en el centro histórico de Mora, y fue reconstruida en el siglo XVI tras los sucesos de 1521 durante la Guerra de las Comunidades,
Templo de estilo gótico tardío, atribuido a Alonso de Covarrubias, se compone de una sola nave dividida en cuatro tramos separados por arcos torales apuntados y cubiertos con bóvedas de crucería. El coro se asienta sobre el último tramo de bóveda ojival plana.
En los muros exteriores presenta decoración de perlas y pequeñas ventanas de herradura inscritas en alfices.
A los pies de la iglesia está la Torre del Campanario cuyo cuerpo es mucho más moderno que el resto de la construcción rematado con chapitel de pizarra.
Conserva varias tablas realizadas por los pintores, Juan Correa de Vivar y de Francisco de Comontes, de dos retablos ya desaparecidos.
Parochial Church Our High Grace Ma´am
The original building could have been built along the XIII century. It had a wood roof and its measures were smaller. During the War of the Communities it suffered an important fire, this fact could have happened between the 20th and 23rd of April in 1521. Its architectonic style is late gothic. It has a rectangular floor and the first sketches could be made by Alonso de Covarrubias, main master in the Cathedral. The north front (corresponding to the Herradores square, after Castelar and now located next to the tower) it is made by a tri-lob arch, three niches (in its upper side) and a basket-handle arch, plus two side buttresses. The west front has a special characteristic: its ogee arch. Its auditorium is divided in three parts, separated by pointed transverse arches. The covering is formed by a ribbed vault and decorated ribs with the Santiago´s cross, because this church was property of the Order with the same name until 1568. The chorus is supported by a basket-handle arch decorated with pearls and balls. On the right there is a sculpted emblem of the Holy Office. The tower was built with ashlars, but a part was built in stone later (XVII century). On the top there is a slate spire, it was destroyed by a lightning and it was rebuilt in the Age of Enlightenment. The main altarpiece was made after the Civil War (1936). The Church still has ancient liturgical objects (a cross and a custody). There are important paintings too, which are dated in the XVI century. Juan Corres de Villar and Francisco de Comontes are the creators of these artworks.
Visítanos también en:
Contacte con nosotros en: Oficina Turismora - Glorieta de Eusebio Mendez - 45400 Mora (Toledo) +34 925 30 00 25 (Ext.170) email@example.com